Search Your Query Here

Applying For a Green Card Through Marriage

If you have married in another country and would like to live in the United States, you may be interested in applying for a green card through marriage. However, you will need to be careful. There are many factors that can affect your chances of gaining approval. You should also be sure to consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Apply from abroad

Green card through marriage is the process by which a foreign national spouse can become a lawful permanent resident in the United States. There are several procedures and requirements to be met.

The first step to apply for a green card through marriage is to file the Alien Relative petition. A petitioner should provide the required forms and government fees, and must also pay $220.

Once the paperwork is filed, USCIS will verify that the petition is complete. If it is, the agency will transfer the case to the National Visa Center, which then gathers and verifies the necessary documentation.

At the National Visa Center, the spouse will be asked to participate in a background check. This is to ensure that the marriage is legitimate. They will then be given an interview. The officer will assess the case and decide whether to approve the petition.

If the spouse was married less than two years before applying for a green card through marriage, he or she will be issued a conditional residence card. After two years, the conditional residence can be converted to a permanent green card.

When the green card is approved, a physical card will be mailed to the spouse's address. He or she can then travel to the United States with the card.

Avoid denials

When applying for a green card through marriage, you need to be careful. A number of mistakes can cause the application to be denied. The most common denials come from failure to provide the proper documents and information.

One of the most important parts of any green card application is proving that the marriage is authentic. This is often referred to as a "verification." You need to provide your partner with a recognized marriage certificate, photos of your two families together, and any other proof of your marital status.

Another important piece of information you need to have is a financial plan. If your spouse does not have the money to cover the fees, you may need to have a financial co-sponsor.

Proving that you can prove you have sufficient financial resources is a crucial part of a green card application. The USCIS has a variety of options for demonstrating this, including the income from your sponsoring spouse's household members, and assets that can be used to replace your salary.

The USCIS also has a number of forms you can use to demonstrate your marital status. These are generally designed to make the process as simple as possible.

There are also a number of other options if your application is denied. First, you can appeal the decision. An immigration lawyer can help you through the process.

Consult with an attorney

If you want to obtain a green card through marriage, you will need to know what to do and what to expect. It can be a daunting process. You should contact an immigration attorney to help guide you through the process.

While obtaining a green card through marriage is fairly simple, the process does require you to provide a number of documents and information. During your interview, you will be asked about your relationship with your spouse, your daily activities, and your future plans. Depending on the situation, the officer may ask you to submit additional documentation in order to prove your good faith.

The most important part of the green card through marriage process is the personal interview. Before you go to the office, you should prepare by gathering all the necessary paperwork. This will include proof of financial support. Examples of such documents include pay stubs and tax returns.

You may also be required to take a medical exam with a USCIS-approved doctor. Some of these local doctors are non-Americans.

In addition to a marriage-based green card, you might be able to obtain a visa through family sponsorship. For example, you may be a parent of a U.S. citizen, or you might be an unmarried child under 21.