Search Your Query Here

How a Family Immigration Lawyer Can Help You

If you're in the Atlanta area and have been contemplating the possibility of moving to the United States, then you'll want to take some time to learn more about family immigration. There are several legal options available to you, including preferences for unmarried adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, the Legal Immigration Family Equality Act, and the provisional unlawful presence waiver. In addition, you'll want to find a Experienced Atlanta Family Immigration Lawyer to help you through the process of bringing your loved ones to the U.S.

Legal Immigration Family Equality Act

The Legal Immigration and Family Equity Act of 2000, more commonly referred to as the LIFE act, made a few notable changes to the immigration code. One of these changes was the creation of a new family immigration program which allows spouses, unmarried children and other relatives of lawful permanent residents to remain in the United States until such time as they are granted legal resident status. This new program was designed to allow the immigrant and his or her loved ones to live in harmony.

It is also worth mentioning that the new law allows the spouse to receive the K-3 visa, a temporary non-immigrant visa that is rarely used these days. Although the K-3 has a fairly short wait time, there are plenty of other options to choose from. Whether or not you choose a traditional immigrant route, it's a good idea to know your options and take advantage of any opportunities that come your way. If you're interested in the process, speak to a qualified family immigration lawyer who can guide you through the maze. They'll be able to give you a leg up on the competition and ensure that you're not missing out on a second chance at American citizenship. Likewise, if you're a citizen of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, you'll want to keep your eyes out for any enticing offers in your state of residence. For example, if you're a Massachusetts resident, it's worth checking out the upcoming Harvard Medical School Fair that will be held on September 23 and 24. While there, be sure to drop by a local bar to sample some of the best cocktails in town. Having a tasteful libation can do wonders for your family's health and happiness. Afterward, head back home for a nice dinner and a movie. A small price to pay for the benefits you'll reap from being a lawful resident of the United States.

Preferences for unmarried adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens

The preference system for immigrant visas sets numerical limits on the number of applicants that are permitted to be issued each year. If more people than available visas are enrolled under annual allocations, wait times can be long.

There are three categories of preference visas: Family First Preference (F1), Second Preference (F2), and Third Preference (F3). Each category has its own waiting time. When a person is granted an F1 or F2 visa, he or she will have to provide proof of their relationship to a U.S. citizen, as well as their age.

Children under 21 years of age are not eligible for a preference visa. They are allowed to accompany successful applicants to the U.S. However, they are not considered immediate relatives, and must meet the legal age requirement to qualify for derivative permanent resident status. This means that they must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or parent.

Children between 21 and 25 years of age are eligible for a second preference visa. Their priority date is the filing date of an immediate relative petition. These children can then move to a third preference visa if they marry a U.S. citizen. Alternatively, they may opt to remain in the second preference category.

Applicants in the 2B category have a longer wait. While the average waiting period is nine years, applicants from Mexico have waited as much as five years. Meanwhile, applicants from the Philippines have waited as long as twice as long.

Although the waiting times for all preferences vary, some countries, such as Mexico and the Philippines, have more backlogs. Immigrants born in these countries often have to wait for years before they can receive a visa.

If you want to know the current availability of an immigrant visa, you can refer to the Visa Bulletin published by the Department of State. It is released on the 15th day of each calendar month. Generally, the visa bulletin will contain information on the wait times for each visa category. Depending on your country of origin, you may want to consult with an immigration attorney.

Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver

The I-601A provisional unlawful presence waiver allows people to remain in the United States while waiting for a decision to be made. When an applicant's case is approved, they will be permitted to leave the country to attend an immigrant visa interview.

This is a relatively new process for foreign nationals. It allows people who have been illegally present in the US for more than a year to apply for special permission to return.

However, this is only available for certain groups of immigrants. In order to qualify, applicants must prove that they would suffer extreme hardship if they were barred from returning to the United States. They can also wait for a year or more for the result of their application.

The waiver process was a complicated one. First, the alien must file an application on a form designated by USCIS. Next, the individual must pay the appropriate fee, according to 8 CFR 106.2. After that, the USCIS will take a decision about whether or not to grant the waiver. If the application is denied, the alien may withdraw the application.

A person's inadmissibility can be due to a number of factors. Among these are criminal convictions, immigration fraud, and illegal reentry. While some periods of time do not count, some people are barred from the United States for three to ten years.

An individual can ask for a provisional unlawful presence waiver if they are a derivative beneficiary of an immigrant visa petition approved under the Diversity Visa Program. If they are not, they cannot get a waiver.

Those who fall out of status or are ordered removed are not eligible for a provisional unlawful presence waiver. Their cases are referred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). These individuals can be referred for investigation or prosecution.

The process for applying for a provisional unlawful presence waiver is a bit more complex than the typical green card application. For instance, the person must demonstrate that the hardship to their family would be extreme.