Daily Email Newsletters (Latest Updates/Articles) — Sign up for Free

Procedure For Change Of Name Of Shareholder On Share Certificate


Generally, when a person changes his name - the first step would be to apply for publication of the new name in the official Gazette of the State where he is applying (that is known as Gazette notification) and/or by way of executing an Affidavit before a public notary.

The reason behind the change is mostly post marriage or due to astrological and numerology.

Once the gazette notification or affidavit is done, then generally the person would apply for name change in PAN card, Passport, Aadhar etc and also in most of the legal documents which may have significant effect due to name change.

It is also necessary that in order to avoid any future inconvenience the person should get his new name updated in the records of all the Companies where he holds shares or any other kind of instrument viz. fixed deposit, bond, etc.

Procedure for Change of Name on Share Certificate (in case of shares in physical form)

Any shareholder who is desirous of changing /updating his/her new name in the records of the Company will have to make an application to the company to do so. Here under is a brief process to be followed for getting it done.
  1. Prepare a letter addressing to the Company or the RTA of the Company mentioning the reason of your name change and clear details of your new name;
  2. Do enclose the attested copies proofs of name change i.e Gazette notification, Affidavit, PAN card, etc.
  3. Also enclose the original share certificate along with the letter.
  4. Sign the letter and send it to the Company or the RTA. Self attest on all the pages and wherever necessary get the proofs and documents attested by a public notary or executive magistrate.
  5. Do keep safely the despatch proof of the letter (viz. speed post receipt, courier acknowledgement etc) 
  6. Follow up with the Company after 7-15days about the status of your request letter.
  7. If any queries raised by the Company - do provide resolution and revised document as may be necessary at the earliest.
Here's a good format of letter to Company requesting change of name on share certificate - click here

Procedure for Change of Name on Share Certificate (in case of shares in demat form)

Any shareholder who is desirous of changing /updating his/her new name in the records of the Company will have to make an application by submitting necessary form with their respective Depository Participant. Please contact your Depository Participant to get the format of the form.


  1. Still I am not getting answer of my question. There are two names in physical share certificate (First is X and second is Y). Now I want to remove second holder name and first holder name X remain same. So please guide me on this matter and suggest proper form for the further procedure.

  2. AnonymousMay 30, 2017

    name deletion form is required to be signed by both a pancard and reason for deletion is to be stated

  3. Get SH-4 , SHare Transfer Form signed by the second holder and get it transferred in the name of first holder by sending the share certificate,sh-4,pan card copies to RTA.

    1. AnonymousJanuary 22, 2018

      as u are saying one will have to pay transfer charges.

  4. hi,

    I have the shares of one company but now the companies name is change so what is the procedure? I have a physical share certificate.

    1. No need to apply for Company’s name change! U can apply sticker of the changed name which were sent by you or if i u don’t have then leave it as ir t is. It’s ok

  5. The company which changed its name would automatically inform you about the changes and in some cases they will send you the new share certificate in lieu of existing one. If nothing happened just write a letter with copies of certificate asking them the status of your share. If it is held in demat then no problem it automatically corrected to new name.

  6. I have share certificates in my Nick name now I want them to be transferred to my official name. What to do?