Daily Email Newsletters (Latest Updates/Articles) — Sign up for Free

Procedure for Change of Address of Shareholder


Any shareholder, who is desirous of changing /updating his/her new address in the records of the Company, where he/she holds share(s), will have to make an application to the company along with the required documents. Follow the below steps to get the new address updated.
  1. Prepare a letter addressing to the Company or the RTA of the Company mentioning the reason of your address change. Do mention the full postal details of your new address.
  2. Enclose the attested copies of proofs of address change i.e Passport, Ration Card, Telephone Bill, Electricity Bill, Rent Agreement, etc. Any one or two of these documents will serve the purpose.
  3. You can also enclose copy of the share certificate(s) along with the letter. This will help in verification purpose. Though it is not a mandatory thing.
  4. Sign the letter and send it to the Company or the RTA. Do sign on all the documents and wherever necessary get the proofs/documents attested by a public notary or executive magistrate.
  5. Do keep safely the despatch proof of the letter (viz. speed post receipt, courier acknowledgement etc) for any future purposes.
  6. Follow up with the Company after 7-15days about the status of your request letter for updation.
  7. If any queries raised by the Company - do revert to them with desired reply and revised document as may be necessary at the earliest.
Here's a good format of letter to Company requesting change of address - click here

In case of joint holding - the first shareholder can sign the letter and documents.

Note: The Company or the RTA may ask additional document for signature verification i.e. signature attestation from banker's.


A shareholder, who is holding shares in demat and wants to update his/her new address in the records of the Company will have to make an application to the Depository Participant by submitting necessary form. Please contact your Depository Participant to get the format of the form.

No comments:

Post a Comment