June 12, 2019: The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of April 2019 stands at 126.8, which is 3.4 percent higher as compared to the level in the month of April 2018. The cumulative growth for the period April-March 2018-19 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 3.6 percent.
2. The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of April 2019 stand at 107.8, 126.6 and 162.9 respectively, with the corresponding growth rates of 5.1 percent, 2.8 percent and 6.0 percent as compared to April 2018 (Statement I). The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-March 2018-19 over the corresponding period of 2017-18 has been 2.9 percent, 3.6 percent and 5.2 percent respectively.
3. In terms of industries, fourteen out of the twenty three industry groups (as per 2-digit NIC-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown positive growth during the month of April 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II). The industry group ‘Manufacture of wearing apparel’ has shown the highest positive growth of 33.6 percent followed by 22.6 percent in ‘Manufacture of wood and products of wood and cork, except furniture; manufacture of articles of straw and plaiting materials’ and 16.3 percent in ‘Printing and reproduction of recorded media’. On the other hand, the industry group ‘Manufacture of paper and paper products’ has shown the highest negative growth of (-) 12.3 percent followed by (-) 9.6 percent in ‘Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment’ and (-) 3.5 percent in ‘Manufacture of other transport equipment’.
4. As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in April 2019 over April 2018 are 5.2 percent in Primary goods, 2.5 percent in Capital goods, 1.0 percent in Intermediate goods and 1.7 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III). The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of 2.4 percent and 5.2 percent respectively.
5. Details of item groups exhibiting larger variations in production in absolute terms and weighted terms in Statement IV.
6. Along with the Quick Estimates of IIP for the month of April 2019, the indices for March 2019 have undergone the first revision and those for January 2019 have undergone the final revision in the light of the updated data received from the source agencies.
7. Statements giving Quick Estimates of the Index of Industrial Production at Sectoral, 2-digit level of National Industrial Classification (NIC-2008) and by Use-based classification for the month of April 2019, along with the growth rates over the corresponding month of the previous year including the cumulative indices are enclosed.
8. Release of the Index for May 2019 will be on Friday, 12 July 2019.
STATEMENT I: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION - SECTORAL
(Base : 2011-12=100)
STATEMENT II: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION - (2-DIGIT LEVEL)
STATEMENT III: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION - USE-BASED
Source: Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation