May 10, 2019: The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of March 2019 stands at 140.2, which is 0.1 percent lower as compared to the level in the month of March 2018. The cumulative growth for the period April-March 2018-19 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 3.6 percent.
2. The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of March 2019 stand at 132.6, 139.6 and 160.1 respectively, with the corresponding growth rates of 0.8 percent, (-) 0.4 percent and 2.2 percent as compared to March 2018 (Statement I). The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-March 2018-19 over the corresponding period of 2017-18 has been 2.9 percent, 3.5 percent and 5.2 percent respectively.
3. In terms of industries, twelve out of the twenty three industry groups (as per 2-digit NIC-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown negative growth during the month of March 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II). The industry group ‘Manufacture of furniture’ ‘has shown the highest negative growth of (-) 24.6 percent followed by (-) 18.5 percent in ‘Manufacture of other transport equipment’ and (-) 15.3 in ‘Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment’. On the other hand, the industry group ‘Manufacture of tobacco products’ has shown the highest positive growth of 13.5 percent followed by 10.6 percent in ‘Manufacture of computer, electronic and optical products’ and 9.3 percent in ‘Manufacture of wood and products of wood and cork, except furniture; manufacture of articles of straw and plaiting materials’.
4. As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in March 2019 over March 2018 are 2.5 percent in Primary goods, (-) 8.7 percent in Capital goods, (-) 2.5 percent in Intermediate goods and 6.4 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III). The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of (-) 5.1 percent and 0.3 percent respectively.
5. Details of item groups exhibiting larger variations in production in absolute terms and weighted terms in Statement IV.
6. Along with the Quick Estimates of IIP for the month of March 2019, the indices for February 2019 have undergone the first revision and those for December 2018 have undergone the final revision in the light of the updated data received from the source agencies.
7. Statements giving Quick Estimates of the Index of Industrial Production at Sectoral, 2-digit level of National Industrial Classification (NIC-2008) and by Use-based classification for the month of March 2019, along with the growth rates over the corresponding month of the previous year including the cumulative indices are enclosed.
8. Release of the Index for April 2019 will be on Wednesday, 12 June 2019.
STATEMENT I: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION - SECTORAL
(Base : 2011-12=100)
STATEMENT II: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION - (2-DIGIT LEVEL)
STATEMENT III: INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION - USE-BASED
Source: Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation