Section 6 (Relevancy of facts forming part of same transaction) under Chapter II (Of the Relevancy of Facts) of Part I (Relevancy of Facts) of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 —
❝Facts which, though not in issue, are so connected with a fact in issue as to form part of the same transaction, are relevant, whether they occurred at the same time and place or at different times and places.
(a) A is accused of the murder of B by beating him. Whatever was said or done by A or B or the by-standers at the beating, or so shortly before or after it as to form part of the transaction, is a relevant fact.
(b) A is accused of waging war against the Government of India by taking part in an armed insurrection in which property is destroyed, troops are attacked and gaols are broken open. The occurrence of these facts is relevant, as forming part of the general transaction, though A may not have been present at all of them.
(c) A sues B for a libel contained in a letter forming part of a correspondence. Letters between the parties relating to the subject out of which the libel arose, and forming part of the correspondence in which it is contained, are relevant facts, though they do not contain the libel itself.
(d) The question is, whether certain goods ordered from B were delivered to A. The goods were delivered to several intermediate persons successively. Each delivery is a relevant fact.❞
List of Amending Acts and Adaptation Orders
The Indian Evidence Act, 1872 (Act No. 1 of 1872) was amended by:
01. Indian Evidence Act Amendment Act, 1872 (Act No. 18 of 1872);
02. Indian Evidence Act, 1872 Amendment Act, 1887 (Act No. 03 of 1887);
03. Indian Evidence Act, 1872 Amendment Act, 1891 (Act No. 03 of 1891);
04. Indian Evidence Act, 1899 (Act No. 05 of 1899);
05. Repealing and Amending Act, 1914 (Act No. 10 of 1914);
06. Repealing and Amending Act, 1919 (Act No. 18 of 1919);
07. Indian Evidence (Amendment) Act, 1926 (Act No. 31 of 1926);
08. Repealing and Amending Act, 1927 (Act No. 10 of 1927);
09. Amending Act, 1934 (Act No. 35 of 1934);
10. Government of India (Adaptation of Indian Laws) Order, 1937;
11. Repealing Act, 1938 (Act No. 01 of 1938);
12. Indian Independence (Adaptation of Central Acts and Ordinances) Order, 1948;
13. Repealing and Amending Act, 1949 (Act No. 40 of 1949);
14. Adaptation of Laws Order, 1950;
15. Part B States (Laws) Act, 1951 (Act No. 03 of 1951);
16. Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 1983 (Act No. 43 of 1983);
17. Criminal Law (Second Amendment) Act, 1983 (Act No. 46 of 1983);
18. Terrorist Affected Areas (Special Courts) Act, 1984 (Act No. 61 of 1984);
19. Information Technology Act, 2000 (Act No. 21 of 2000);
20. Indian Evidence (Amendment) Act, 2002 (Act No. 04 of 2003);
21. Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2005 (Act No. 02 of 2006);
22. Information Technology (Amendment) Act, 2008 (Act No. 10 of 2009);
23. Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013 (Act No. 13 of 2013);
24. Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2018 (Act No. 22 of 2018).