Section 7A (General duties of the occupier) under Chapter II (The Inspecting Staff) of the Factories Act 1948
❝(1) Every occupier shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of all workers while they are at work in the factory.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of sub-section (1), the matters to which such duty extends, shall include—
(a) the provision and maintenance of plant and systems of work in the factory that are safe and without risks to health;
(b) the arrangements in the factory for ensuring safety and absence of risks to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances;
(c) the provisions of such information, instruction, training and supervision as are necessary to ensure the health and safety of all workers at work;
(d) the maintenance of all places of work in the factory in a condition that is safe and without risks to health and the provision and maintenance of such means of access to, and egress from, such places as are safe and without such risks;
(e) the provision, maintenance or monitoring of such working environment in the factory for the workers that is safe, without risks to health and adequate as regards facilities and arrangements for their welfare at work.
(3) Except in such cases as may be prescribed, every occupier shall prepare, and, as often as may be appropriate, revise, a written statement of his general policy with respect to the health and safety of the workers at work and the organisation and arrangements for the time being in force for carrying out that policy, and to bring the statement and any revision thereof to the notice of all the workers in such manner as may be prescribed.❞
The Factories Act 1948 was amended by the:
- Repealing and Amending Act, 1949 (No. 40 of 1949);
- Repealing and Amending Act, 1950 (No. 35 of 1950);
- Adaptation of Laws Order, 1950 (A.O. 1950);
- Factories (Amendment) Act, 1954 (No. 25 of 1954);
- Central Labour Laws (Extension to Jammu and Kashmir) Act, 1970 (No. 51 of 1970);
- Factories (Amendment) Act, 1976 (No. 94 of 1976);
- Factories (Amendment) Act, 1987 (No. 20 of 1987).