Section 53 (Compensatory holidays) under Chapter VI (Working Hours of Adults) of the Factories Act 1948
❝(1) Where, as a result of the passing of an order or the making of a rule under the provisions of this Act exempting a factory or the workers therein from the provisions of section 52, a worker is deprived of any of the weekly holidays for which provision is made in sub-section (1) of that section, he shall be allowed, within the month in which the holidays were due to him or within the two months immediately following that month, compensatory holidays of equal number to the holidays so lost.
(2) The State Government may prescribe the manner in which the holidays for which provision is made in sub-section (1) shall be allowed.❞
The Factories Act 1948 was amended by the:
- Repealing and Amending Act, 1949 (No. 40 of 1949);
- Repealing and Amending Act, 1950 (No. 35 of 1950);
- Adaptation of Laws Order, 1950 (A.O. 1950);
- Factories (Amendment) Act, 1954 (No. 25 of 1954);
- Central Labour Laws (Extension to Jammu and Kashmir) Act, 1970 (No. 51 of 1970);
- Factories (Amendment) Act, 1976 (No. 94 of 1976);
- Factories (Amendment) Act, 1987 (No. 20 of 1987).