Repealed-Regulations under Foreign Exchange Management (Insurance) Regulations, 2000
RBI - A.P. (DIR New Series) Circular No.18 [(1)/12 (R)] dated November 17, 2016
1. Attention of Authorised Dealers (ADs) is invited to A.D (M.A. Series) Circular No. 11 dated May 16, 2000 in terms of which ADs were advised of various Rules, Regulations, Notifications/ Directions issued under the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (hereinafter referred to as the Act). On a review, it is felt necessary to revise the regulations issued under the Foreign Exchange Management (Insurance) Regulations, 2000 notified vide Notification No. FEMA. 12/2000 - RB dated May 03, 2000 c.f. G.S.R. No. 395(E) dated May 03, 2000. Accordingly, the said Regulations have been repealed in consultation with the Government of India and superseded by the Foreign Exchange Management (Insurance) Regulations, 2015 notified vide Notification No. FEMA. 12(R)/2015-RB dated December 29, 2015 c.f. G.S.R. No. 1007(E) dated December 29, 2015. The revised notification has come into force with effect from December 29, 2015.
2. The Memorandum of Foreign Exchange Management Regulations relating to General/Health Insurance (GIM) and Life Insurance (LIM) in India have also been suitably modified and are annexed at Annex I and Annex II, respectively.
3. AD Category I banks may bring the contents of the circular to the notice of their constituents and customers concerned.
4. The Master Direction No. 9 dated January 01, 2016 on Insurance, is being updated to reflect the changes.
5. The Directions contained in this circular have been issued under Section 10(4) and 11(1) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (42 of 1999) and are without prejudice to permissions/ approvals, if any, required under any other law.
1) Annex I and Annex II is available at - link
2) Foreign Exchange Management (Insurance) Regulations, 2015 - link