Generally, when a person changes his name - the first step would be to apply for publication of the new name in the official Gazette of the State where he is applying (that is known as Gazette notification) and/or by way of executing an Affidavit before a public notary.
The reason behind the change is mostly post marriage or due to astrological and numerology.
Once the gazette notification or affidavit is done, then generally the person would apply for name change in PAN card, Passport, Aadhar etc and also in most of the legal documents which may have significant effect due to name change.
It is also necessary that in order to avoid any future inconvenience the person should get his new name updated in the records of all the Companies where he holds shares or any other kind of instrument viz. fixed deposit, bond, etc.
- Prepare a letter addressing to the Company or the RTA of the Company mentioning the reason of your name change and clear details of your new name;
- Do enclose the attested copies proofs of name change i.e Gazette notification, Affidavit, PAN card, etc.
- Also enclose the original share certificate along with the letter.
- Sign the letter and send it to the Company or the RTA. Self attest on all the pages and wherever necessary get the proofs and documents attested by a public notary or executive magistrate.
- Do keep safely the despatch proof of the letter (viz. speed post receipt, courier acknowledgement etc)
- Follow up with the Company after 7-15days about the status of your request letter.
- If any queries raised by the Company - do provide resolution and revised document as may be necessary at the earliest.
Procedure for Change of Name on Share Certificate (in case of shares in demat form)