Definition of Cyber Cafe
The definition of Cyber Cafe is prescribed under clause (na) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Information Technology Act read with clause (c) of sub-section 1(c) of section 2 of the Information Technology (Guidelines for Cyber Cafe) Rules, 2011.
"Cyber cafe" is defined as any facility from where access to the internet is offered by any person in the ordinary course of business to the members of the public.
All cyber cafes shall be registered with a unique registration number with an agency called as registration agency as notified by the Appropriate Government in this regard. The broad terms of registration shall include:
- name of establishment;
- address with contact details including email address;
- whether individual or partnership or sole proprietorship or society or company;
- date of incorporation;
- name of owner/partner/proprietor/director;
- whether registered or not (if yes, copy of registration with Registrar of Firms or Registrar of Companies or Societies); and
- type of service to be provided from cyber cafe Registration of cyber cafe may be followed up with a physical visit by an officer from the registration agency.
The details of registration of cyber cafe shall be published on the website of the registration agency.
The Appropriate Government shall make an endeavour to set up on-line registration facility to enable cyber cafe to register on-line.
The detailed process of registration to be mandatorily followed by each Registration Agency notified by the Appropriate Government shall be separately notified under these rules by the central Government.